Debating Through the Arts: A Performance Art Event 29 October 2011 10 AM – 6 PM
Jerri Allyn and Inez Bush’s commission uses the Model United Nations paradigm as a performance score. During this interactive daylong event, artists and interested participants will choose an issue about performance art today from the issues listed below, join a team and debate their point of view for an audience. Through a structure of debate, caucus and creative collaboration, participants are provided with an outlet to create and express their respective points of view on important issues in performance art today.
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
Artists, art historians, critics and anyone interested in Performance Art are invited to participate.
To join a team, either…
• Attend a planning meeting or rehearsal (during meetings, participants choose an issue and develop their arguments)
Scheduled Planning Meetings:
• Wednesday, October 19th
• Wednesday, October 26th, 7-9pm at 5507 Village Green, LA, CA 90016 (@ Rodeo and Hauser between La Brea and La Cienega)
Rehearsal at LACE:
• Monday, October 24th, 7-9pm
Topics for debate about the state of Performance today:
• Does Performance Art make a contribution to civic life, and should communities financially support the work of their artists?
• Is it possible for artists to feel individual ownership of collective Public Practice initiatives that are for the betterment of the community in which they work?
• Should there be restrictions in presenting controversial Performance Art to a general public that may get offended?
ABOUT THE ARTISTS
Jerri Allyn, Debating Through the Arts: Performance Art co-creator is an Artist, Educator and Scholar with an MA in Feminist / Art and Community. A founding member of The Waitresses and Sisters of Survival, collaborative performance art groups, she has exhibited internationally and received a Rockefeller Foundation Residency in Italy; an International Lila Wallace Fellowship in Mexico; and National Endowment for the Arts grants, among others. Allyn was Director of Education and Public Programs at the Bronx Museum of the Arts in NY; founding Director of ACT: Artists, Community and Teaching at Otis College of Art and Design in LA, CA; and is currently Director of Programs at Venice Arts, CA.
Inez S. Bush, Debating Through the Arts: Performance Art co-creator is co-founder, CEO and Creative Director of Gramercy Partners, an award-winning marketing communications firm. Bush is a strategist, facilitator and consultant to the non-profit, business and education sectors. She teaches at Otis College of Art and Design and is currently coordinating the Otis K-12 Teacher Retreat on Media Arts, a Professional Development program. She is currently working with Otis College of Art and Design and Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE). She holds an M.A. in Education, Leadership and Change from Antioch University LA, CA and BFA in Graphic Design from SUNY Purchase, NY.